14 November 2009

Windows 7 vs OS X

I keep reading articles about how a Microsoft employee said "What we've tried to do with Windows 7 - whether it's traditional format or in a touch format—is create a Mac look and feel in terms of graphics. We've significantly improved the graphical user interface, but it's built on that very stable core Vista technology, which is far more stable than the current Mac platform, for instance." Then Microsoft came back and debunked this statement saying that the employee was not at all linked to the GUI development and wasn't equipped with the knowledge to make that statement.

First off, allow me to wipe my eyes, they were tearing up from laughing so hard. "Vista... is far more stable than the current Mac platform..." You're joking, right? I think the last time I had a kernel panic was when I had tweaked something I shouldn't have in a place I shouldn't have been tweaking things. That was my fault. And OS X asked me if I was really sure I wanted to do that. In comparison, my Windows machine was borking on a daily basis due to a Microsoft-installed driver for my video card. Still not sure how the hell that got installed.

But, see, here's the thing: 90% of all problems on Windows come from their (they being Microsoft) inability to keep the operating system secure. The other 10% come from effed up drivers. (EDIT: Statistics created off the cuff, but with some decent guesstimations based on experience.)

Let's address the 90% first. I run my Mac in Admin mode (which is naughty, I know), but every time anything wants to install on my machine, I still have to give it permission by typing in my Admin password. EVERY. TIME. Is that a pain? Not really. Does Windows do this? Sporadically at best, it seems. And it didn't start until Vista.

Here's another thing I hear all the time: "Well the reason there are no virii or spyware for the Mac is because nobody uses them and/or nobody cares enough to take the time to create a virus for them." Is that really the case? Or is it that the OS is locked down tight enough to where malicious software can't get into the system folder and start mucking about? I'm pretty sure most virus making toolkits are *nix based. Which means they aren't even created on Windows machines. But it only makes sense to deploy them on Windows machines because they have the majority of the market share. It's simple business. Are you going to advertise your product on TV in an Amish community? Prolly not. Or, better yet, open up an electronics store there?

Yes, Windows does continue to have the majority of the market share. And that will continue until someone else can put out an office suite that rivals MS Office. OpenOffice is good, but too many people worry because it's free that it won't be as good as the software you have to drop $150-$350 for. I still don't get that.

Now on to the 10%: drivers. The other great thing about a Mac is that I don't have to worry about my video card not being compatible with the rest of my system. For any of you that have custom-built a machine you know what I am talking about. If you don't do your homework you could end up with all kinds of incompatibilities that you'll tear your hair out trying to resolve. And that happens sometimes even when you DO do your homework. With a Mac, it all comes pre-packaged. If I do end up having a problem with the OS or the hardware, I can call one place: Apple. I don't have to call Microsoft first only to have them refer me to the video card manufacturer, only to have them refer me to the motherboard manufacturer, etc, etc, ad nauseum. Unless of course it's some bizarre third party app that I am having problems with, then I usually end up calling them first anyways.

Yes, Windows 7 does look a lot like OS X. But not really any more so than Vista did. In fact I remember writing a blog back when Vista came out calling it Windows OS X. They took a LOT of tips from Apple that time. Now they're just building on what they already stole *choke* borrowed and trying to make it unique. I'm still wondering when they are going to implement a decent version of Spaces or Expose. Yeah, they're getting there, but what they have still isn't remotely as simple to use. And at least if I buy a new Mac I can transfer all my data, my preference, AND my apps without having to reinstall every blasted one of them. Do you think I remember where the hell my Office disk is?

Oh and if ONE person mentions that stupid "Mac Tax", I'm going to charge you the "Windows Tax" by infecting the hell out of your system to where you have to go pay Geek Squad $249 to have them clean your shit. Do that once and then buy all the extra security crap they charge you for annually and by the time your PC dies, you've more than DOUBLED my "Mac Tax". Even if you could get this bitchin' a Windows system for the same price. Seriously go get the specs on a basic Macbook Pro and then try to find a comparable Windows machine for less with the SAME specs. I dare you. Plus almost all of my apps are free or close to it. Yay for OSS.

No comments:

Post a Comment